About the Muskoka Ratepayers' Association
The Muskoka Ratepayers' Association (formerly the TMLRA) is an advocacy group whose mandate is that of preservation, fairness and enhancement for and with property owners in the Township of Muskoka Lakes and beyond.
The Goals of the Ratepayers':
- To protect and promote the interests of all property owners within the Township of Muskoka Lakes
- To support orderly development of the Township in such a manner as to preserve and enhance the value of residential, commercial and industrial properties
- To encourage the education of our young people.
The Objectives of the Ratepayers':
- Attend Township and District Council meetings
- Be accessible to the members of the Association through any Director on the Board
- Hold public forums on issues of major concern to the membership
- Support our school students through annual bursaries and awards
- Stay in contact with other associations
- Have our committees review issues affecting all Ratepayers in the Township and bring these issues to the attention of Council, or, where Council has already acted, to meet with members of Council to discuss the issues and work out a compromise that will be acceptable to all.
The Ratepayers and Governance:
The following are principles and policies that the Ratepayers' have adopted. If you are of like mind, you should consider joining us, just follow the Join Us link at the bottom of the page!
- General Principles - Our mandate is:
- To represent all Township property owners, both seasonal and permanent, and attempt to ensure that their assessments and tax loads are fairly and reasonably conceived and distributed
- To encourage resourcefulness in thought and care in developing and implementing budget initiatives which focus on efficiency, productivity, and economy while respecting both short and long term strategies which are in the best interests of the community
- Operations - Our mandate is:
- To have personnel sit and act as a watchdog for all Council and Committee Meetings at Township and as many at District as possible and appropriate, and report information and decisions made to our membership
- To avoid any potential Conflict of Interest, any Directors or Officers are required to recuse themselves from any meetings or discussions which are directly related to the area of conflict
- Resignations are required from any one on the Board or an Officer before filing for political candidacy
- We are not political activists
- We hold All Candidates meetings at Election time, but do not endorse candidates or make recommendations
- We summarize what each candidate has said at the meeting and make the information available to all
In summary, our objective is to ensure that the Township receives responsible governance from those elected over their term.